For the greyhounds at least, it isn´t as simple as “first past the post”. No matter how hard they try, how fast they run, ultimately they will be the losers.
So who are the winners in this sport?
• the greyhound industry as a whole, which generates enormous annual profits.
• The owners of the best registered dogs, who profit from prizes
• The registered dog owners who can sell the best dogs on to the independent sector, once they have no further use for them.
• the puppies killed because they won´t make the grade as a racer.
• The thousands and thousands of greyhounds racing in the independent sector whose welfare is not regulated.
• The dogs kept in appalling, dirty, cramped conditions.
• The injured greyhounds, many of whom go untreated.
• The dogs abandoned or killed when they can´t run fast enough to win a race.
How can you make a difference to the dogs, and help the greyhounds become the winners?
Sign our petition on http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-the-greyhound-slaughter
. We are aiming for 20,000 signatures to present our protest to Governments around the globe in March 2008.
Members of Facebook can join the following cause: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/view_cause/18204
. This has been set up to give people a voice. You can post media links and chat with other greyhound lovers at the same time!
Better still, make one special dog a winner! Adopt a greyhound and you will gain a loyal and rewarding pet. Your dog will then be the ultimate winner with the best prize of all – a long and happy life!