Tainted treats sold at Wal-Mart suspected in dog’s death
A Delaware County [Pennsylvania] woman says her dog died after eating dog treats made in China.
Wal-Mart has quietly pulled a made in China dog treat from its shelves. However, there has been no public announcement, and there's no telling how many contaminated bags of treats may still be out there.
Kate Collins of Aston still finds it hard to talk about. She loves her Chihuahuas. She has two now, but her youngest is gone. Two-year-old Bella died suddenly last month after eating Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips.
Bella was dead within a week. The other dogs didn't get the same treats and they're fine.
The animal hospital did an autopsy and found that Bella died of an infection caused by toxic bacteria.
Kate bought the treats at the Wal-Mart store in Boothwyn. She said it took her days to find a manager willing to talk to her.
Wal-Mart would not say how many complaints it has gotten, but an Internet search shows similar incidents across the country.
The company has issued a statement saying it cares about people and their pets, and ordered the treats removed from the shelves of all stores. Wal-Mart has since offered to reimburse Collins for up to $2,000, which, she said, doesn't come close to covering her loss. She also said it's not about the money. She just wants to get the word out.
The Food and Drug Administration is apparently unaware of this latest problem with pet food from China. A recall has not been issued. They failed to respond to our inquiries. Wal-Mart said if you have the Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips at home, you can return them for a full refund.
You’ll find the story about Bestro Chicken Jerky Strips here