TO: ALL DOG OWNERS - PLEASE READ!
On Saturday night, (8/16/09) my 6 year old Shih Tzu, Nikko, was
eating a dog chewie named Windee (a/k/a Moo tubes & Beef Trachea). He
began choking and I tried but could not get the Windee chew from him. I thought the choking stopped before I went to bed but the next day I woke up and Nikko was dead. The necropsy performed that morning revealed approximately 2 inches of the chew lodged in the trachea
leading to death by asphyxiation.
The 6" Windee chew is manufactured by Jones Natural Chews
Company (the label says Jones Gourmet Chews Company) located in
Rockford Illinois. I purchased the Windee from SitStay.com. The chew is
advertised as "good chewing for all size dogs". There are absolutely no
warnings that choking can occur and cause death OR the Windee can lodge
in the trachea and thus cause death by asphyxiation.
I contacted Jones Natural Chews company and spoke to Dean Jones, one of
the owners. I told him what happened and he said he would send me a letter advising as
to what would be done. When I didn't receive the letter I called him back and he said the letter
was sent. I still have not received any letter. I requested they take this product off the market so that it would not happen to another dog. He said they would NOT take the Windee chew off
the market. I then requested a warning label on the product that choking can occur
and lead to death. He said he spoke to their Attorneys and they may put some type of
warning that "Choking could be hazardous" That is not sufficient. It minimizes the reality,
death can occur.
I know our dogs love bones and chewies and we all love to see our dogs
happy BUT the consequences are not worth it.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IF YOU HAVE A DOG DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GIVE Windee (a/k/a Moo tubes & Beef Trachea) TO YOUR DOG.
I can't tell you how much I loved Nikko, I bred him and thus had him
since the day he was born. IF you have had a dog die because of choking
on this or any other product please notify me at firstname.lastname@example.org